It’s the Baking Bad Christmas Special! In this episode of Baking Bad, we’re talking festive baking.
Today I baked traditional Mince Pies and some not so traditional Christmas Buns. I won’t go into detail about the buns. They’re a run of the mill cake mix with an obscene amount of food die thrown in; I’ve left pictures below!
Traditional Mince Pies.
Ok, Ok. I cheated on this one. While I was perfectly comfortable attempting to make “mincemeat” for the pies without poisoning anyone, I am not yet ready to tackle shortcrust pastry. I bought a packet of jus-rol. Don’t judge me!
1 Jus-Roll Shortcrust Pastry
1 egg for glazing.
150mls of Jameson Whiskey
1 1/2 packets of Mixed fruit and fruit peel.
150 grams of Brown Sugar.
1 1/2 teaspoons of all spice.
1 Lemon and Lime for zest.
100g of butter.
This is a very easy recipe, particularly if you’re cheating with some Jus-Roll.
- Throw the fruit into a mixing bowl.
- Grate the zest of the lemon and lime in.
- Stir in the butter.
- Add the spices and cinnamon.
- Dissolve the sugar in some Whiskey for five minutes.
- Pour it into the fruit mix.
- Leave the mixutre for at least 24 hours.
- The next day (or later if you’re not in a rush.)
- Follow the instutions on the Jus-Roll packet (I will eventually tackle pastry, maybe).
- Cut out circle shapes and fill your mince pies.
- Glaze with butter and egg yolk.
- Cook in the oven for 25-30 Minutes.
The extra egg and butter on the pastry gave a nicer flavour than the plain, store bought pastry would have on its own. I was actually really surprised at how tasty they were and they seem to be going down well with the family.
Here are a couple of pictures of the Christmas Buns I made.
What I listened to: